Zaffts in Action

Zaffts in Action
Livin' life day-by-day and posting when there's a little extra time.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Muffin Baking and a Non-Hayride

Last week our mother-child playgroup went out to Ward's Berry Farm in Sharon for what had been planned as a muffin-baking and hayride activity. It had been raining for about two days straight, though, and while they don't usually cancel hayrides because of rain, they do cancel because of muddy fields. Our driver/popcorn chef explained they were concerned with getting the hay wagons stuck in the mud. Because we had about 20 kids (all under the age of 5) and 16 adults, I agreed getting stuck in the mud a mile out on a hayride in drizzling rain wasn't the best choice we could make. So Elon (pronounced ee-lon) took us for popcorn popping and a short tour of their produce house instead.

Year before last we went on a great hayride at WBF and the following year I tried to plan one again. However, they were all booked in October so we had to push into November. This is when I learned about the awesome muffins they make at WBF! The kids get to watch the batter being made and then scoop their own pre-cooked muffin into the tins before heading out for a hayride. Last year Aiden was sick so I went for the muffin baking but he missed the activity. So I was disappointed at the lack of hayride until we tasted the freshly popped popcorn! The kids all had a blast so I won't complain!

Aiden brought along his own camera and looked like this during most of the muffin baking (maybe there's a future career in photography?).


Our fearless chef, Linda!


Aiden scooping some batter (he wasn't really paying attention but complied).


Devin and me waiting our turn.


Investigating some peanut pumpkins in the produce house.


Checking out some popcorn while listening to Elon talk about why there are different colors (which I found really interesting but the kids didn't seem to care about).


Devin decided he was done waiting for the muffins to come out of the kitchen and thought he'd try a few other types of food...


None of which seemed to satisfy. Thank goodness for another mom (thanks, Chris!) who came armed with a dum-dum! Soooo much more tasty than un-popped popcorn and mini pumpkins!


The rain had cleared by the time we finished with our popcorn and muffins so we headed outside for some fresh air!






We owe a huge "thank you" to the wonderful folks at Ward's Berry Farm for their hospitality and yummy treats!

1 amazing comments:

Missletoe said...

Fun times! I'll have to figure it out next year. That popcorn is the stuff dreams are made of.